Packaging Items for Shipment
Packaging Books for Shipment
Items sent through the courier service should be packaged in MOBIUS supplied delivery bags affixed with a label from the MOBIUS Label Maker. The bags are then placed in covered totes by the delivery drivers to protect them from the elements while in transit.
Packaging AV Materials for Shipment
As many educational videos can be quite expensive and are often more delicate than books, libraries should make sure that materials are safely packaged to reduce losses and damage. It would be prudent to ship only one or two AV items per courier bag. Standard media shipping supplies such as padded envelopes or cardboard boxes will be supplied by each member library.
STAT Courier's insurance restricts replacement costs to $120 per item. The lending library cannot expect to be reimbursed by the courier for more than $120 for damaged materials even if the replacement costs exceed that amount.
The lending institution is responsible for safely packaging the borrowed materials in appropriate shipping containers to protect them from damage. The lender must ensure that all parts of the material are present in their correct container and not damaged before they are shipped to the borrower.
The borrowing institution is responsible for returning the material with all of its pieces in the same condition as received. The borrower will use appropriate shipping containers and packaging that will protect the materials from being damaged.
The type of packaging depends on the library’s budget and needs. The preferred packaging is a reusable padded mailer, a foam lined plastic package sealed by either a Velcro flap or a zipper.
- Bubble wrap mailing envelopes
- Jiffy bags with shredded filling as padding
- Media lender boxes from vendors such as Demco or Gaylord
- Any materials expected to be returned should be designated as such
- When feasible the library should use the A/V Shipping Band located on the MOBIUS website
- The MOBIUS bands include a simple copyright statement that may be used, edited, or removed at the discretion of the lending library.
- Removable labels are optional and may be used at the discretion of the lending library instead of a paper band.